Thursday, July 24, 2008

more Thing #7: online communication tools pts. 3 & 4

3) Text messaging. Interesting that one of the assignments is to practice texting, which assumes that all the participants have a cell phone. Yeah, I do have one, I admit. But texting seems too clunky to be really useful for many library services - or is it my phone that's clunky? On the other hand, I wonder if the newest smart phones (is that what they're called?) are too smart for texting. That is, if these phones can get email, why bother with text? Is instant messaging available on the new iPhone?

The video of the students sitting right in front of their computers and using a cell phone to text the librarian seemed nuts to me. And the assigned reading seemed oddly dated until I saw that the article is dated: 2005. But then again, maybe it's me that's dated!

4) Web conferencing. I think the reality of global climate change to some extent transcends the debate of other benefits vs. costs of online conferencing. We simply have to consider online meetings and conferences as one small element of the strategy to fight climate change. Perhaps the high cost of gas will force us to do this even if the ethical reason doesn't.

One of the listservs I follow had a recent discussion of the advantages/disadvantages of online conferences. The overriding disadvantage mentioned is the loss of spontaneous conversation and networking opportunities offered by in-person attendance. I agree this would be a serious limitation of web conferences (although secretly I see it as an advantage since I dislike the social/networking side of conferences).

As for the webinar assignment, I've "attended" webinars in the past. I didn't see anything of interest on the upcoming lists for Minitex and OPAL, but I promise to keep my eyes open. When I do sign up for one I plan to watch it with an evaluative eye.

No comments: