There must be a way to put a caption on this photo. But anyway, it's credited on Flickr to Northfield.org. When I read about Flickr, I was intrigued most by the maps feature. So I went to the Northfield map location. Some of the first pictures were of the hailstorm from a couple of years ago. So then I did a search on the terms "northfield" and "hail" and chose this photo. I was a little nervous about copyright and proper crediting; I hope I did everything I was supposed to.Flickr was fun to explore. I love what St. John's/St. Ben's are doing, especially interesting to me since they're academic libraries.
It's funny to me that, while cataloging as a profession is stereotyped as dry, boring work, much of what people are doing for fun on Flickr is essentially cataloging! And I think tagging is such an interesting concept. I would like to see the natural language of tagging combined with the controlled vocabulary and cross-referencing of LC Subject Headings. On the Flickr site there are some interesting attempts to create semi-formal lists and standards for tag creation.
No comments:
Post a Comment