I don't know, I don't know ... I'm feeling overwhelmed by all the recent tools I've learned about in the 23 Things which, though each different, have overlapping functions. Oh, I can subscribe to blogs! Oh, de.li.c.i...o....us! Oh, Digg! For this Thing I didn't get too excited looking at Digg, Mixx, and Newsvine. Maybe it's possible with some or all of these sites, but I didn't notice any way that my ratings would influence the type of content that would be displayed to me. I've been using Netflix for a few years, and though it took some time and a lot of ratings, my account is now personalized enough that I am easily finding lots of good movies that I likely would never have watched otherwise. As much as I like the democratic nature of these social media sites, perusing what's rated as "popular" doesn't make me want to look at these sites any more than a regular news site. I'm not particularly interested in reading the "American Idol" of news stories! Maybe I just didn't explore the sites enough. But Reddit does claim to shape content around one's ratings - like Netflix - so out of curiosity I signed up for an account.
I'm wondering if keeping track of what's rated as popular on these sites could impact collection development, for public libraries at least. I'm not sure it should be at the top of the "to do" list though.
I read an article on slate.com about a new model of electric car and "shared" it on reddit. I was feeling timid about doing this so I was glad to see that someone else had already submitted the same article. I did give the article a "thumbs up" rating though!
Oh, one other thing I noticed both for this Thing and Thing 11 was the ability to keep track of what friends are bookmarking (del.icio.us et al.) or what news stories they're reading/recommending (Digg et al.) As we web 2.0 types are fond of saying: "omg!" Why in the world would anyone want to do that?
Thursday, August 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment